Birth Story

Well, I had one person ask for the birth story of my second daughter, so here it is.  Be forewarned though, I don’t tend to censor much so read at your own risk.

Friday I worked and didn’t feel much different.  My due date was the 10th, but I had resigned myself to the fact that I might have to be induced and the only guarantee was that she would be born by the 24th (two weeks from the due date).  When I got home, our financial planner had kindly agreed to visit us at home and we ordered pizza and talked about the new year.  We’re scaling back our financial planning services as although Leif now has a job again, most of it will be eaten by daycare.

She left at 7:30 pm and almost immediately I had to go to the bathroom and the tightening of my belly felt a bit on the painful side.  I’ve had Braxton Hicks (false contractions) for ages, but my belly would just be tight not painful.   I told Leif I felt a little different, but I wasn’t convinced it was going to be that night.   By 8:30 pm they were irregular, but they were definitely uncomfortable.   But still, I wasn’t convinced it was going to be that night.  Leif was though–he said my face gave it away.  So we took Rowan to Grandma’s.

In the car, we had a choice.  I didn’t know how long I would have to wait before the hospital would admit me.  I call my midwife, and told her my contractions were 6-8 minutes apart.  “Well,” she said, “we still like to have them 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long.”  Crap.  We could have stayed at Leif’s mom’s house, but I wasn’t comfortable with that.  I knew how painful they could become and I hate having people see me like that.   So, we went home again.  It was about 10:00 pm.  I timed them again, and now they were 5 minutes apart, so my husband got 15 minutes of rest and then we were out again.

By now they were bad.  I could no longer stand or walk when they hit, but would squat only because it was marginally better.  By the time we got to the emergency room at 10:45 pm, I walked as fast as I could in my 4 minute window so I wouldn’t be squatting outside the hospital.  At soon as we got in, one of nurses took one look at my face and motioned us to the front.  “Do you feel a need to bear down?” she asked.  I told her I felt like I was going to poop, but I really couldn’t distinguish whether I just had to go, or I needed to push.  That was all it took for them to get me in wheelchair and straight to the emergency room.  Yep, they were a little afraid I was going to give birth in the hallway.

They checked me and I was 4 cm at that point, so we had enough time to get me up to Triage on the birthing floor.  However 5 floors and 15 minutes later, I was 9 cm.  Once again, I missed the window for pain meds.  So they got me to a room and basically told me I could push whenever I wanted to.   Leif and nurse midwife massaged my back as each contraction got worse.  I don’t know how women can lie down and give birth, I was either kneeling or squatting.  And though they gave me a couple of shots of a morphine derivative (the only thing safe at that point), I couldn’t tell it made any difference.

I had thought giving birth to my first daughter was the worst pain I had even been in, but the second one outdid her.  By the end, I was naked (too hot for clothes) and yes, screaming.  Not proud of that, but it is what it is.  Later, I told Leif that a video of me giving birth would dissuade people from having children.  I think I pushed 4 or 5 times, but I don’t really know.  All I know is that I could not push without a scream.

But, she was born a healthy 8 lbs 9 oz and with no complications shortly after midnight (12:11 am), an hour and a half from when we arrived.  They put her on my chest and she suckled right away.  Another champion nurser, although her aggressive latch left me bruised on my left side.  I got to cut the cord too.

Unlike Rowan, where immediately after the birth, the crazy levels of endorphins muted further pain, after this birth, everything seemed more sensitive.  The afterbirth, the midwife sewing me up, the uterine contractions as Nova nursed–during all of it I felt like saying, “Easy there, I’m still tender!”  Of course, I added to it because the very next day I had my tubes tied.  As the uterus is still close to the surface, it’s a pretty easy procedure, but I’ll leave that story for another day.

Well, despite the pain of her birth, Nova has been a pretty easy baby.  Due to the speed of the delivery, she doesn’t have a lot of head molding, so her head is pretty round and her eyes (so far) are a deep storm blue.   So I’ll take the short term discomfort for that.

Author: ~R

I write about life, people, and the things that interest in me. Which often includes death, sex, friendship, and the future of humanity. I hope for the best in people and I prepare for the worst. But no matter what happens, change is constant and everything will be ok.

6 thoughts on “Birth Story”

  1. Thank you for posting the birth story! I loved reading it. And I agree, the pain level for the second time around was worse…maybe because we have been through it once and don’t have the innocence to buoy us through. though I’ll admit, I still feel a little “ugh’ when I read about those who only do 10 pushes or less. I thought I got lucky the second time around by only pushing for 45 minutes compared to the first time of 2 hours and 45 minutes.

    If you want visitors I’d love to bring some food by — though I can understand if it would awkward since I haven’t actually seen you face to face in two years.


  2. Congrats! Thanks for sharing a really lovely birth story. I can’t imagine the epidural-less delivery. Mine was delayed and I was on the verge of taking out the Dr., my mom, my husband and anyone close enough to tell me to breath through it 🙂

  3. Congratulations! So glad everything went well. Can’t imagine going without an epidural for the whole thing. With my first I got it done as soon as I got there (I was 7 cm). Good thing too because I delivered Alex less than 2 hours later. I declined meds with my second, but only because I knew that in an hour they were taking me in for an emergency C-section after discovering at the last minute that Beth was breech.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s